Tuesday 8 May 2012

Coffee and Walnut Cake

Who doesn't love cake!? My mums favourite is Coffee and Walnut cake, which is two things I don't really love so never wanted to cook but after some pestering I decided to give it a try. Here is the recipe that I found from Nigella and I adapted a little for what I had at home...

INGREDIENTS
For the sponge:

50g walnut pieces
225g caster sugar
225g soft unsalted butter, plus some for greasing
200g plain flour
4 teaspoons instant coffee granules 
2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
4 eggs
1 tablespoons of sour cream (just use a little milk if easier)

For the buttercream frosting:
350g icing sugar
175g soft unsalted butter
2 teaspoons instant coffee powder and 2 teaspoons of boiling water
2 tablespoons of cream cheese
8-12 walnut halves, to decorate

You will need: 2 x 20cm sandwich tins

Set your oven for 180oC.
With a rolling pin or food blender blitz the walnut until a powder (it will be a little damp) and mix with the sugar. 
It is such a light and fluffy batter
In a large bowl mix this with the flour, eggs, butter (I often cheat and half melt it in the microwave), coffee (which should be mixed with a little hot water first), baking powder and bicarb and then add some sour cream/milk to make a light batter. Split this between 2 sandwich tins and cook for 25-30 minutes till brown and clean when you pull a screwer out of the middle.
Let the cakes cool and then ice with the buttercream frosting (just mix all ingredients) between the 2 cakes layered on top of each other(make sure you have plenty for the top) then decorate with walnut halves. 

I was surprised at how light this cake was with so many eggs, it was lovely and moist too. I will definitely be making this again. You could add more coffee if you like it strong but I thought it might take away from the walnuts so I kept it quite light for my first attempt.   

Serve and enjoy..
Tada... The finished Coffee and Walnut Cake.
I wish I had taken a photo of the slices but I ate it too fast sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment